– Dec 01 2015
Scottish 10km Runs ?
As the end of 2015 Approaches, my daunting challenge stats knocking on the door. I am cautious more serious planning is required for me to make the most of the 100 x 10km, Megameter Challenge I have set myself.
Part of the challenge is in running almost 2 x 10kms every week, consistently for an entire year. Ideally I would like 50% (a Mahoosive 50) of those to be through official events, but with work, largely work, but also family and other life commitments, then that itself represents a trial.
Having started to put more thought into the years runs, I have been able to think more about variety (the spice of life) and tying them in to other experiences (like holidays overseas) – Now I’m feeling motivated!!
Here’s a quick list of Events I have come across, and ones that quite take my fancy:
1. Edinburgh Sumo Run (Oct) – 5km, can I run it twice, dressed as a Sumo?
2. Glencoe Half Marathon – Running through beautiful scenery!
3. Great Scottish Run (Oct) – Got to do a few commercial biggies!
4. London River Run – Spectacular city scenery, could be a buzz!
5. Barcelona ½ Marathon – Bring on some sunshine!
6. Trossachs 10k Series (Jan-Oct) – 6 Interesting events out of the city!
7. Killin 10km – Drove through this last year and was inspired to attend!
8. Glasgow Mens 10k (June) – Keep some local!
9. Edinburgh Mens 10k (November) –
10. The Gambia – Heat aside, could be an adventure linked to my project!
I know from previous experience some of the little unknown, and sometimes ‘unplanned’ runs can often be the best. I enjoy city running, but I think many city runners miss out on some amazing opportunities out in the hills!
What events are you aware of, or planning to run yourself? Post them below or twitter: blackler_paul, and I will check in throughout the year to get feedback and guest blogs.
Please share your stories. Running is one of those things best done in a community, so let’s run together!
photo credit: SumoRun.com